Hello and welcome to Romance Recipes where I am happy to introduce you to a new author and a new recipe! Two of my favorite things! Today I am bringing you author, Jessie Donovan, and her recipe for Empanadas along with an introduction to her paranormal fantasy romance, Frozen Desires (Asylums for Magical Threats #2). Please join me in welcoming Jessie and savor her recipe for Empanadas as you read about her new book!
Hello and thank you for allowing me the chance to share a recipe on your blog! Frozen Desires is the second book in my Asylums for Magical Threats series, and primarily takes place in Mexico. Early last year I went to Southern Mexico for research (and a little fun). While I was there, I had the good fortune to take three cooking classes from a Mexican chef! I’m going to share one of those recipes with you today.
NOTE: This is pretty much a “decide your own portion” recipe. Adjust and change as needed.
Oil (for frying)
For the outer shell:
2 cups Masa Corn flour (for 16 shells)
1 1/3 cups Water
For the filling:
1 Can of Refried Beans
1 Package of Chorizo
For the sauce:
4-6 Roma tomatoes
1/4 Onion, chopped
1/4 Bunch of Cilantro, chopped
Salt, to taste
Water, to taste
1) Cut potatoes into fourths and boil about 20 minutes. (You can leave the skins on and pull them off once they’re cooked.) Prepare the other ingredients in the meantime.
2) Chop onion to taste for filling and sauce.
3) Mix the Masa flour, water, and optional salt in a bowl until the dough is pliable. Divide dough into half-dollar size balls. Cover the balls with a wet paper towel. Take out your tortilla press, lay out a piece of saran wrap/cling film about twice the size of the press, put one ball on the bottom of the plastic-covered press, fold over the remaining plastic, and flatten. If you don’t have a tortilla press, you can put a ball of dough between the plastic wrap, flatten it with a cake pan or plate, and then use a rolling pin to smooth it until it’s very thin. Repeat until you’ve pressed all of the dough.
4) Take off the skin/packaging of the chorizo. (Depends on the brand you buy.) Cook it in a frying pan until cooked through.
5) In a medium-sized saucepan put the heart of the tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped cilantro and salt water into a blender. To thicken the sauce a little, cut out some of the meat from the sides of the tomatoes and blend in. Then put the mixture in a saucepan and slow boil it until it thickens.
6) Drain the potatoes and peel of the skins. Then mix the potatoes into the chorizo and cook until heated through.
7) Assemble the empanadas by taking one of the pressed dough balls and in one half, put some refried beans and the potato/chorizo mixture. Leave a small border around the edges so that when you fold the empty half of the dough over, you can press the sides to create a little pocket. Repeat. NOTE: You can mix and match the fillings to your liking.
8) Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan (just a little more than enough to cover the bottom). When the oil is hot, place as many empanadas into the pan as you can. Keep an eye on when to turn them—usually once the shell starts to turn a light brown. After frying both sides, set aside on a paper towel to drain the excess grease.
9) When the sauce is thick enough, serve with the empanadas! Enjoy!
Camilla Melini is a high-ranking soldier with an organization fighting to free elemental magic users. Her latest assignment is to find one of the legendary elemental Four Talents, and she’s determined to get in and out of Mexico as quickly as possible to avoid running into the man who nearly destroyed her life. But when the dangerous man from her past finds her, Cam must work with Marco Alvarez, a man she’d dismissed as a playboy, to prevent the the powerful magic of the Talents from falling into the wrong hands. She never expected the charming playboy to be a cunning warrior worthy of her heart…
Marco Alvarez is sent to Mexico with two goals—to watch Cam’s back and to investigate a series of arson fires targeting former AMT prison employees. But when a shadow-shifter shows up looking for Cam, Marco decides he needs to stick close to her to help her mission succeed. As he gets to know the strong-willed woman, he’s torn between telling her the truth of his elemental magic and keeping the others who share his secret safe. But when Cam sacrifices herself to save her colleagues, Marco must expose the secret of his elemental magic or risk losing the only woman who can match both his passion and his strength.
Cam sucked in a breath. Marco’s words were true, but this situation wasn’t entirely her fault.
She raised her chin to get a better look at his eyes. “Trust? What do you think just happened in that bar? If I didn’t trust you at all, then no matter if it would’ve blown your cover ID or not, I never would’ve let you put your tongue in my mouth.” She poked him in the chest. “You may let anything with tits kiss you, but it’s not that way for the rest of us.”
Before she could blink, Marco had grabbed her hands and pinned them to the wall beside her head. She tugged, but his grip didn’t budge. “Let’s get one thing straight right now, Camilla. Despite whatever the rumors may say, I don’t kiss just anyone.” He leaned closer and she was surrounded by his intoxicating maleness. “And as I remember it, you were kissing me back.”
Cam’s heartbeat pounded in her ears. “What does it matter? Two seconds later, you were making sex-eyes at the waitress.”
His breath tickled her cheek. “What if she hadn’t interrupted? Then what would you have done?”
Her anger had faded to something much hotter. Suddenly, Marco’s proximity, and the way he’d kissed her, was all that she could think about. No. She wouldn’t let anyone hurt her again. “Nothing, because I’m not about to be anyone’s whim.”
Anger flashed across his face. “Anyone who thinks of you like that isn’t worth having. Was it that blond man? What is he to you?”
She jumped at the distraction, anything to put distance between herself and Marco. It wasn’t just that his nearness was unsettling, but his fierceness was doing something to her that she didn’t want to think about. “First, let me go.”
His nearly black eyes pierced hers, but she didn’t avert her gaze. She could take any macho bullshit he threw her way.
After a few more heartbeats, Marco loosened his grip and she yanked her hands down to her sides. But Marco kept his hands on either side of her head, not stepping back as she had expected him to do.
“Well, Camilla, who is he?”
Buy the Book:
Jessie Donovan wrote her first story at age five, and after discovering theDragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey in junior high, realized that people actually wanted to read stories like those floating around inside her head. From there on out, she was determined to tap into her over-active imagination and write a book someday.
After living abroad for five years and earning degrees in Japanese, Anthropology, and Secondary Education, she buckled down and finally wrote her first full-length book. While that story will never see the light of day, it laid the world-building groundwork of what would become her debut paranormal romance, Blaze of Secrets.
Jessie loves to interact with readers, and when not traipsing around some foreign country on a shoestring, can often be found on Facebook and Twitter.
Thank you for joining us for another Romance Recipes! I hope you’ll stop by next week to meet another author, try a new recipe and pick up a new book!